Rev. Dr. Dee Adio-Moses
Spiritual Teacher, Author, Business Coach, Humanitarian

Dear Leader,

Thank you for being here.

We are very committed to helping coaches, authors, educators, publishers, musicians, poets, motivational speakers, health educators, Mompreneurs and other entrepreneurs with life transformative and socially responsible messages to learn about attaining tax-exempt status. There are 31 answers to our frequently asked questions below. If your questions are still not answered than email them to us to info@getyourtaxexemptfast.com

We believe that since you are already helping others to excel and live a better life, there is a big portion of your organization that can be your Tax Exempt organization which means you can source funding to better assist your clients on their journey to a better life. Better still, you can assist those that have been marginalized and unable to benefit from your message because of lack of funds.

Let us help you look into the possibility of your organization’s ability to add this Tax Exempt Status and thereby become a more socially conscious organization.

If you are ready to move forward
and start the ball rolling on your Tax Exempt Status.
Click below to fill out a short form ,
and we will contact you
to discuss further the ways we can assist you.

If you have a question email us here at info@getyourtaxexemptfast.com


Here are some questions that we have been asked often, hope they answer any question you may have. Remember you can always email us at info@getyourtaxexemptfast.com

Why form a tax-exempt nonprofit corporation?

Being organized as a tax-exempt corporation is a common requirement for obtaining grant funds from government agencies and private foundations. Generally, tax-exempt government foundations as well as private foundations and charities are required by their own operating rules and by IRS regulations to donate their funds only to 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations or else forfeit their own tax-exempt status.

What benefit does being 501(c)(3) offer my nonprofit and its contributors?

One of the primary benefits of being considered tax-exempt under IRC Section 501(c)(3) is the ability to accept contributions and donations that are tax-deductible to the donor. Additional benefits include, but are not limited to.

  • Tax-free income - Income earned by the organization is deemed tax-free.
  • Tax-deductible donations - Donors can make charitable contributions and receive a tax deduction on their tax return.
  • Employee benefits - Employees will be entitled to various fringe benefits, such as group life insurance, health insurance, corporate pension plans etc.
  • Grants - The organization will be qualified to receive private and public grants.
  • Postage - Lower postage rates on corporate mailings.
  • Public Service Announcements – Reduced rates for radio and PSA announcements in the local media.
What are the disadvantages of forming a tax-exempt nonprofit?

Your nonprofit income activities will be in most part restricted to the stated purpose.

What are the responsibilities that must be fulfilled by a tax-exempt organization?

The Following Responsibilities: must be fulfilled by the 501(c)(3)
  • Keep Adequate Records
  • File Required Returns
  • Provide Donor Substantiation
  • Obey Disclosure Laws
  • Generate Public Support
  • Avoid “Excess Benefits” for insiders
  • Shun Political Activity
  • Limit Legislative Activity
  • Limit Unrelated Business Activity
How do profit and non-profit organizations differ?

Non-profit organizations are unable to give away dividends or shares to its directors, officers or organization members. A profit organization is able to give away shares of stock. In this situation, shareholders are able to benefit from their investments.

Are non-profit corporations exempt from tax responsibilities?

Not all non-profit organizations are 501(c)(3) tax exempt. There are special requirements that must be satisfied in order for a non-profit to take advantage of a 501(c)(3) tax exemption status. In order to take advantage of this opportunity, an organization must apply for the status and be approved by the IRS and state tax board.

Is a non-profit corporation able to make a profit?

Yes. A non-profit corporation is able to bring in more money than it spends. The profits can be used to cover operational costs. These profits can't be given to directors, employees, and officers in the form of dividends.

What, if any, are the differences between a director and a trustee?

There are no differences between the two. Both a Board of Directors and Board of Trustees hold the same meaning. Many non-profits choose to have a Board of Advisors and outline its powers in the bylaws. Unless the bylaws outline legal authority, the Board of Advisors doesn't possess legal authority.

What are the differences between for profit and nonprofit corporations?

Profit corporations are authorized to issue shares of stock to shareholders in return for capital investments. Shareholders receive a return on their investments when dividends are paid or when assets are distributed after dissolution. Nonprofit corporations neither issue shares nor pay dividends, and when it dissolves, the remaining assets must be distributed to another tax-exempt nonprofit group.

What are the differences between tax-exempt and nonprofit corporations?

Nonprofit does not mean tax-exempt. A tax-exempt organization is a unique entity that is usually a nonprofit organization. However, a nonprofit organization cannot be exempt from Federal and State income or franchise tax until the organization applies for an exemption and the IRS and the state franchise board issues a determination of exemption.

Does my corporation qualify as a tax-exempt nonprofit?

To qualify for exemption under the Internal Revenue Code, your organization must be organized for one or more of the purposes specifically designated in the Code. For an organization to qualify under a 501(C)(3) exemption, it must be organized for one or more of the following purposes:

  • Charitable
  • Religious
  • Educational
  • Scientific
  • Literary
  • Testing for public safety
  • Fostering national or international amateur sports competition
  • The prevention of cruelty to children or animals

Additional tax exemptions exist under separate sections of the IRC for groups including: labor unions, chambers of commerce, social and recreational clubs, fraternal societies, civic leagues, credit unions, farmers coops and mutual insurance companies, and legal service organizations

Is there more than one category of tax-exempt organization?

Yes. The one most familiar (and addressed in subsequent questions below) is the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 501(c)(3) public charity or private foundation, which is established for purposes that are religious, educational, charitable, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering of national or international amateur sports, or prevention of cruelty to animals and children. There are also IRC Section 501(c)(4) through 501(c)(27) organizations that are considered tax-exempt, but not charitable. Examples include trade associations, social clubs and certain advocacy organizations involved in substantial political lobbying activity.

Does it matter if an organization is formed in a country other than the United States?

An organization may qualify for exemption under section 501(c)(3) even if it is formed and/or conducts its activities in a country other than the United States. Note, however, that contributions to an organization formed in a foreign country are generally not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes except pursuant to a treaty between the other country and the United States. (For example, contributions to Canadian charities may be deductible, while contributions to charities based in most other countries are not.)

Form 1023 asks whether an organization was formed in a country other than the United States to help identify charities based or operating in countries that may present tax risk issues.

What form is required for 501(c)(3) status?

To apply for IRS 501(c)(3) recognition, IRS Form 1023 must be completed and filed.

With who is Form 1023 filed?

Form 1023 is filed with the Cincinnati Service Center of the Internal Revenue Service.

What are the fees to file Form 1023?

The IRS has a two-tiered filing fee structure. Most organizations pay the standard $850 filing fee when sending their application to the IRS. Organizations that expect to have (or have had) no more than $40,000 in gross revenue for the first four years combined can pay a reduced filing fee of $400.

Is there a state application as well as federal?

In most states, no, while a handful of states have a simple, one- or two-page form that must be prepared, California is the only state that requires a separate application process rivaling the one required by the IRS. In California, federal tax-exemption does not eliminate state income tax liability until approval is received from the California Franchise Tax Board.

How long does it take to complete Form 1023?

IRS Form 1023 is 28-pages long, plus required schedules and attachments. While every organization does not have to complete every page, a typical application package is between 25-75 pages of material. More important, however, is the amount of time required to complete the package. The IRS estimates a preparation time of well over 100 hours for a novice to prepare Form 1023.

How long does it take for the IRS to approve 501(c)(3) status?

Even though we have had clients that got their approval in 30-40 days, typically, IRS 501(c)(3) approval takes between 4 and 6 months, inclusive of likely written follow-up questions. Sometimes it takes a little less; sometimes a little more. Expedited review can be requested if a new organization is being formed to provide immediate disaster relief or if a promised grant is both 1) substantial relative to the organization’s budget and 2) the grant has a specifically-defined expiration date. There is no guarantee the IRS will grant expedited review requests.

What happens if the application is rejected?

Our Clients have never gotten their application rejected. A negative 501(c)(3) determination by the IRS can be appealed. Alternatively, the organization may choose to apply again from scratch. In either case, it is usually an uphill battle to acquire 501(c)(3) recognition once an organization’s initial application has been rejected.

Can anyone complete Form 1023?

Technically, anyone can complete Form 1023. From a practical standpoint, it is usually advisable to enlist the help of a professional who specializes in the process, While the IRS rejects slightly less than 10% of applications filed, more than one-third are abandoned by the filer…usually out of frustration or inability to answer the IRS follow-up questions. Out of approximately 80,000 applications filed annually, nearly half never make it through the process.

Will my personal tax or financial situation affect my nonprofit receiving 501(c)(3) status?

No. There is no direct correlation between the organization and the financial, tax or credit status of any officer, director or employee.

What information will be required on Form 1023?

In order for the IRS to make a determination, specific questions must be answered relative to the organization’s legal structure, its governing board and potential conflicts of interest. More importantly, pages of detailed questions concerning the organization’s activities must be answered. This is in addition to a two-year budget (new organizations) or three years of financial history (existing organizations) and a written narrative essay outlining the organization’s programs, both current and planned, thatwill advance the organization’s exempt purpose. Add to that copies of supporting schedules and documentation and you have a basic application package.

What financial data is requested by Form 1023?

Part IX-A (Statement of Revenue and Expenses) requires the organization to provide actual or projected financial information (e.g., budget) for three or four years (depending on how many years it has existed). Part IX-B requires a balance sheet for the organization's most recently completed tax year. A balance sheet is a snapshot of assets, liabilities and fund balances (net assets) on a particular date. If an organization has not completed a tax year, it should provide a statement of actual assets, liabilities and fund balances (net assets) based on its most current information.

When does Form 1023 need to be filed?

Generally, Form 1023 should be filed within 27 months of the organization’s formation. For practical reasons, many organizations find it better to apply as soon as possible following formation. Extensions beyond 27 months may be possible under a variety of circumstances.

Can I file Form 1023 before having the Articles of Incorporation for my nonprofit?

Yes, but it is generally not recommended. The IRS will allow unincorporated associations to apply, but these organizations will not have the inherent benefits associated with the corporate structure. In addition, the IRS will still require copies of an organizing document.

Can I start receiving contributions before Form 1023 is approved?

Generally, yes. The IRS 501(c)(3) recognition is usually retroactively effective to the earlier of 1) the organization’s legal formation or 2) the commencement of its programs. This means that the organization’s activities are retroactively tax-exempt and donations are retroactively tax-deductible to the donor, extending even to prior tax years. Under certain circumstances, IRS tax-exemption may only be retroactive to the date of the filing of Form 1023.

Can I apply for grants before Form 1023 is approved?

Technically, yes, but most foundations, government agencies and other funders, will require an organization to possess an approved IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter.

If my nonprofit is tax-exempt, do I pay any type of taxes?

Possibly. Private foundations may still be subject to taxes on investment earnings and undistributed minimum grant allocations. All 501(c)(3) organizations may be subject to taxes on “unrelated business income.” 501(c)(3) organizations that have employees are generally subject to federal and state employment taxes. Additionally, some states do not exempt 501(c)(3) organizations from sales and/or property taxes. It is important for the organization to know what is required in its state and locality.

Will my nonprofit be given a 501(c)(3) number separate from its EIN?

No. Your EIN is the only number federally associated with your organization. If you apply for and receive sales tax-exemption in your state (if available), you may have a number issued by that state agency that is different from your EIN.

Once my nonprofit has been granted 501(c)(3) status, what needs to be done to maintain that status?

At a minimum, the organization must continue to operate for the purposes for which it received tax exemption. In addition, certain federal and state compliance filings may be required.

What Our Customers Are Saying

"Thank you for the excellent job you did with the incorporation and the 501(c)(3) applications of our two organizations. We are so impressed with the professional and timely manner both applications were handled. All our questions were answered promptly and we received our exempt certificate in an unbelievably shot time. We are very satisfied and highly recommend your organization."

Maria L. Adams-Lawton
CEO Healthy Kidz Athletic League
Summer Jam Day Camp
Detroit, Michigan

"Thank you for the way your organization assisted our church in our application for 501(c)(3).You did an excellent job. The Account Manager guided us through the process step by step, asked for the necessary documents, explained why the documents were needed and above all was so patient with us while we obtained them. It was a very educational experience. Also, we were able to obtain our 501(c)(3) status in four weeks without the hassle of going back and forth about information that was missing or incomplete. You are excellent in your field and I highly recommend you to any person, organization or corporation that is applying for their 501(c)(3) status. I truly thank God for all of you.”

Pastor Juanita Gillis
Namaskar Ministries.Inc
Covington, Georgia

"We had submitted our application to the IRS for non profit status in September of 2005. We called the IRS every month from January 2006 through June of 2006 and were told that our application had not been processed. Some weeks after, we got our application back from the IRS requesting more information, a friend told us that their application had been approved and that it took them only three months. They gave us your name and number and we promptly contacted your organization for assistance. Within a week we had the paperwork filled out correctly and in the mail to the IRS. Three weeks later we were approved. We couldn't be happier with the quality of the service we received from your company. You are highly recommended.”

David Hesse
Founding Director
Mustang and Wild Horse Rescue of

"I never knew I could get our Tax-Exempt application done at such a timely manner without any stress. Your attention to detail and your great knowledge of the process are commendable. I have been recommending you to anyone and every one. You are the best. Thank you.”

Chiquita Berry
Twelve Stone Ministries

If you are ready to move forward
and start the ball rolling on your Tax Exempt Status.
Click below to fill out a short form ,
and we will contact you
to discuss further the ways we can assist you.

Life Empowerment Inc. (A Non-Profit 501(c)(3) organization)
6595g Roswell road #233 Atlanta. GA 30328
Contact: 770-875-9599, Email: info@getyourtaxexemptfast.com